A 2-in-1 burglary, or better known as car key burglary, is where the criminal breaks into your home specifically to remove your car keys and steal your car. There are some measures you can take to remain safe and protect your property.
Thieves will cruise around residential areas recording addresses and car types, often building up a database of high value cars to offer a “steal on order” service to their criminal network. Highly organised and often equipped to defend themselves and make good any escape, this type of criminal pray on homes with weaker security than others near by. Often conducted at night when homeowners are in bed, they can be terrifying for the victim and take long to recover from the experience.
The more difficult you make it for them, the less they are likely to bother. A few simple steps can protect both your car and your home.
- Install CCTV to cover your property and use signage to show that it has been installed by a certified and trusted installer.
- Install outside security lighting to the front and back of your home.
- Install a professional intruder alarm, with an external bell that is illuminated at night. Use a certified and trusted installer and always set your alarm at night to protect you doors and windows whilst your family sleeps.
- Always make sure the windows and doors of your house are locked and if your intruder alarm is monitored by the police, display your monitoring sticker in a nearby window.
- Look out for your neighbours and report anything suspicious in your area.